Friday, October 3, 2008

Upcoming Movies You’d Chew Your Arm Off to See

It’s been a strange year for movies – nothing good out for ages and then several brilliant movies come along at once. I’m thinking of Pineapple Express and Tropic Thunder, two hilarious comedies at the same time just when I’d given up hope on comedy flicks.

When I think back on the summer, the two films I enjoyed the most were Iron Man and The Dark Knight. Maybe I’m becoming a comic book nerd in my old age cos I can’t wait for The Spirit next year. Out of the two, though, Iron Man rules – it was much more fun than the Knight and it was a great career comeback for Robert Downey Jnr, who’s one of my favorite actors. The sequel will be one to watch.

Ten movies I’m looking forward to:

1. Quantum of Solace - even though Daniel Craig does NOT get into the tiny blue trunks again: shame on you Daniel!

2. Eagle Eye – trailer looks good, will the movie deliver?

3. Burn After Reading – The Coens have their hits and their misses but No Country for Old Men is already on my top 20 films list so this new one is a must-see.

4. Frost/Nixon – Michael Sheen is one of the most underrated actors around and this could finally be his breakthrough movie.

5. W – how brilliant is it to have a film about a President in theatres when the real thing has barely finished cleaning his hair out of the White House shower?

6. Revolutionary Road – Leonardo Di Caprio and Kate Winslet re-united. Will this be as big as Titanic? And will the acting be better?

7. Valkyrie – Tom Cruise as a Nazi? This I have to see…

8. Bride Wars – Anne Hathaway and Kate Hudson in bitch mode over a wedding sounds like chick-flick heaven.

9. Marley and Me – this I have to see purely on the basis of the teaser trailer, with the doggie making like Chariots of Fire on the beach.

10. Jennifer’s Body – this sounds like a completely demented episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and is written by Diablo Cody – worth a look.

One gripe – where are all the cool action films? And no, ones starring Jason Statham don’t count.
However, the granddaddy of action movies is rumoured to be making Under Siege 3 – yes, Mr. Steven Siegel. But will this be cool like Under Siege 1 or crap like Exit Wounds?

No comments: