Monday, October 20, 2008

Update from the Lone Star State!

I'm still in Texas and nearly finished this leg of the trip - it's been a crazy, action-packed few days. I'm writing a diary account of my festival journey for the Irish Film and Television Network when I get back, but in the meantime let me tell you that if you've ever thought about making scriptwriting your career, the Austin Film Festival is definitely worth a trip. The people I've met and the stories I've heard will stay with me for a long time - when it's zero degrees in January and I'm wondering if I can ever make it as a scriptwriter, this experience will be there to cheer me up!

I'm not saying that lightly because it was an unbelievably long day last Thursday getting here - my geography is terrible and I had NO idea how far south Texas was! But it was brilliant the next day getting up and going to a Q&A with the great Mr. Terry Rossio. I got to ask him a few questions and he gave us some really interesting tips about pitching (trust your content and your ideas above all else). He didn't end up being my pitching judge after all - which was probably a good thing considering how nervous that would have made me - but the pitching itself went well. See the news section of IFTN for lots more details!

In the meantime, here are some pictures from the festival:


Charlie Kaufman talks about the (baffling, for me anyway!) Synecdoche New York....


Danny Boyle answers questions on the brilliant Slumdog Millionaire....














Heroes creator Tim Kring and comedy writers Phil Rosenthal and Greg Daniels talk TV writing, product placement and dealing with the networks....



The fabulous motel pool.....


My equally fabulous motel room - check out the cowboy boots....



Logan Steiner and I show off our all-access badges....



"Raiders of the Lost Ark" legend Laurence Kasdan, "Whip It!" writer Shauna Cross and "Go"'s John August talk inspiration....

No comments: