Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Write a Christmas hit, make millions....

It's at this time of year that I usually start thinking about writing a Christmas movie. It just seems like such an obvious idea - every time a movie you've written gets shown on the telly, you get a royalty payment. And at this time of year every Christmas movie ever made, no matter how bad, seems to get at least one outing. It's a no-fail way to make money! If I could write music I'd write a Christmas song, too. And one about birthdays - there aren't enough songs about those.

I was thinking, therefore, about good and bad Christmas movies. I think one of the worst I've ever seen was Mary Christmas (starring Jenny McCarthy, about Santa's errant daughter). Bet the guy who wrote it is still making money though! Here's my top five favourite Christmas films...

Seasonal crackers
Miracle on 34th Street - I've never seen the original, only the 1994 version with Richard Attenborough. But I get a lump in my throat every time I watch it. Every department store Santa should be like him!

It's a Wonderful Life - What's brilliant about IaWL is that it has this great bleak side to it as well as the heartwarming side. All Christmas movies should have this sort of duality cos this is a time of year when tempers are fraying and people are getting family-rage. I even had butcher shop-rage this year when a granny tried to start something with me in FX Buckleys.

Scrooged - You can't have a Christmas movie list without a version of Scrooge and this has Bill Murray in it when he was still funny, so it's a winner. I've seen this film a dozen times and it's still hilarious. A bit like...

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation - Again, I've seen this nearly every Christmas I've been alive and I still laugh at the squirrel in the Christmas tree and the granny who's wrapped her cat up as a gift.

Die Hard - a strange choice, maybe, but it all takes place at Christmas and Holly Gennaro McClane's colleagues are just trying to have an office party - damn those pesky terrorists and their gatecrashing! Holly is clearly cursed at Christmas (despite her festive name) cos terrorists interruped the season for her again in Die Hard 2.

Get this lot on DVD and you won't be stuck for something to watch!

No comments: