Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Update on the film fest and the pitching

The pitching is over - for now at least. I pitched to 13 people and ended up sending treatments/scripts/loglines to 10 of them. It's too early to tell if anything solid will come of it, but even if nothing else emerges I learned the following:

  • I'm not bad at pitching! Plus practice makes perfect.
  • A load of useful people's names and email addresses.
  • What isn't working in my loglines.
  • That the ideas I currently only have treatments for are viable and that I should go ahead and write the scripts. This alone was great to establish as there's nothing worse than blindly writing a script without knowing if there's a market for it.
All this, plus it was fun! The only downer I'm having this week is that I've realised that between this and the trip to Austin I now have loads of contacts in the U.S. and NONE over here. I just do not know how to break into the Irish market, or even how people sell scripts here. Do producers accept pitches? What are they looking for? I'm not sure where to start - but as I see it I have two choices: give up on Ireland altogether and just try to sell U.S.-based scripts or get my thinking cap on and come up with a strategy...

Saw an Irish film called Our Wonderful Home tonight at the IFI as part of the festival. It's the most depressing film I've ever seen - even beats Hotel Rwanda. A guy called Ivan Kavanagh wrote, directed and edited it, which I would question because it seems to me that he lost any objectivity by going that route. Overall it was well-acted but not remotely entertaining - I'd never watch it again and wouldn't imagine that it's going to do well at the box office. It provides the most disheartening view of Dublin - and Ireland - that I've ever seen and I didn't give a shit about any of the characters. If they'd all died in a spectacular nuclear apocalypse and come back to life as robots about halfway through that would at least have cheered me up...

Then I ran from the Q&A with everyone saying the same thing politely ("it's very depressing, though, isn't it?) to Mise Eire, which as my viewing companion pointed out, is very historically interesting but contains far too many funerals. Plus it stops right before the War of Independence, which surely cut out a lot of the most compelling stuff? Nonetheless, I did spend some time looking for my great-grandad, who allegedly appears in the movie at some point but had no luck. All the men looked the same in their hats and the old footage wasn't the best in terms of picture quality (surprising that!).

Ah, Irish movies. Can't beat em, can't get one made...

No comments: