Thursday, August 13, 2009

My scripts in the PAGE Awards semi-finals!

I had my family script “The Heartstoppers” read by a screenwriting group last night. The group was originally organised by the Irish Playwrights and Screenwriter’s Guild and is a great idea: every two weeks 8-10 of us meet up at the IPSG’s offices to talk about two people’s scripts and offer (mostly) constructive criticism.

Getting feedback on this one is important because it’s currently a semi-finalist in the 2009 PAGE Awards and if I progress to the finals, I get to submit a rewrite! Even if I don’t, it’s always good to have the best possible version of your script completed. The group generally seemed to like it but offered some great advice, such as making the main characters younger to suit a family audience and clarifying some of the more confusing elements.

I’ve got three weeks to find out if I’ve gotten in the finals so it’s time to brew the strongest coffee possible, get in a stash of chocolate and get re-writing!

No comments: