Monday, October 19, 2009

Gearing up for the Austin Film Fest...

Two days to go to my trip to Austin and I’m finalising the Four Horsemen, as I’ve heard them called. Otherwise known as the one-pager, the synopsis, the pitch and the treatment. Especially with a long-haul trip like this, you start to wonder: how many copies do I bring? And do I bring a hard copy of each script (I have four I’d like to raise interest in)? I mean, I’m bringing a big case but I don’t want to look like Ivana Trump going on a trip or break the bell hop’s back when I get there. I’m staying in The Driskill, the hotel where the whole festival is happening, so the bell hops there had better get ready for my enormous suitcase…

Last year I handed out a lot of treatments but no actual scripts – partly because I didn’t have some of my American ones written or even finished. This time I’m thinking two double-sided copies of each. That way if a miracle happens and some producer/manager/agent actually wants to read a whole script, I can run upstairs and get one to hand over. And 20 copies of each treatment, cos you never know…

I’m also practicing the pitch, the thing most (probably all) writers dread. There’s been a lot of pacing up and down, trying to make them sound conversational. And trying to slow down, cos I’m a fast talker. Anyone trying the same thing, this is a great article on the art of the pitch by Craig Mazin. And anyone else going to Austin, the best of luck and see you in the Driskill Bar…

No comments: