Friday, October 2, 2009

Moving on....

Today is a great day as I have finished Star on the Run, my Hannah Montana meets Notting Hill comedy! The last month has been tortuous as I couldn't seem to find enough time in front of my computer to finish it and yet it kept bursting out of me, usually at 3am. But now it's done. I'm watching TV with no guilt eating away at me and no dialogue running through my head...

The exhilaration will last about a week, after which I'll start thinking of another script. Or even start thinking about a rewrite...

Which leads to the question - when is the right time to put your script in a drawer and move on to the next one? Or should you move on to the next one until you're completely happy with the original script? 

I'm not sure that there's a right answer but my take on it would be: sometimes you do need to print the script, read over it and just put it away for a while. Maybe a month. Then take it out and read over it again. By that time you'll have a bit of perspective and will be able to see what needs to be fixed. 

As for moving onto another project, Marvin Acuna put it well in a blog post recently. This is the business of Next! So it's on to the next screenplay, the next treatment or even just the next idea. This script is finished, long live the next script! 

And check out Marvin's blog for a brilliant post by Terry Rossio. Every screenwriter should read this...

No comments: