Monday, November 30, 2009

To plan or not to plan....

The end of 2009 is fast approaching (arrggh, how?!) and 2010 is looming. So is next year going to be the year I buy tickets to see someone else's movie or a dress to go to my own (feature) premiere? 

There's lots of ways you can look at a new year. I read Marvin Acuna's blog and he advocates making big goals and then planning the next 12 months to ensure that you meet those goals. 

And it's hard to argue with that. You have to know what you want and plan in order to achieve it, whether it's running a marathon, trying to sell your house or embarking on a scriptwriting career. And if you don't think strategising and planning are important, then it's not a career, it's a hobby.

But planning's not everything. I also think you have to run some risks, take some chances. You never know who you're going to meet or what experience is going to inform your next story. Your characters are always partly you, but so are your stories and your humour. And neither of those are going to be improved by sitting at home with a planning board :)

So here's my plan for 2010: to achieve a balance between plotting my next career move and enjoying everything life throws at me along the way....

No comments: