Saturday, January 30, 2010

A free pass to watch movies - shouldn't there be a catch?

I had very exciting news this week – I’m going to be an official blogger for this year’s Jameson Dublin International Film Festival! The festival’s chosen six bloggers in total to cover the films, the parties, and all the stuff in between - so there’ll be loads of different writing styles and points of view.

Things kicked off on Thursday night with a launch party at Tripod, but before this there was a press briefing with festival director Grainne Humphreys. She went through the rather cool-sounding 2010 programme while the assembled journalists/bloggers pored over the handbag-sized book of events. 

Then the festival bloggers got the good news – we get a free pass to the whole thing and all we have to do is what we’d do anyway, i.e. blog!

The official launch (after speeches from the chairman, the Arts Council, etc etc) was by Brendan Gleeson and actress Nora-Jane Noone, while the throng sipped Jamesons and ginger ale (well in my case, anyway). 

I ran into Hotel Darklight production manager Marie Caffrey, who was going on to a party for Donegal Person of the Year and kindly asked me to come along. So I did and met every Donegal person living in Dublin (or so it seemed), including the Person of the Year, who turned out to be Altan singer Mairead Ni Mhaonaigh. She once, in a former life, taught in my primary school. Mad fact.

Anyway, it was a great night and I'm really looking forward to February! 

 

No comments: