Sunday, January 10, 2010

You and your script - happy ever after...

As much as I enjoyed the first two Spiderman films, it has to be said that Spiderman 3 sucked. I was hiding behind my hands for some bits, not least the utterly horrific scene where Tobey Maguire dances. Worse than anything in the entire Saw franchise. 

Anyway, my point is not to bitch but to learn from the experience. It was obvious to a lot of people just from watching the trailer that the Spiderman 3 writers had made life hard for themselves. There were THREE villains if I remember correctly, not to mention the fact that Peter Parker himself had developed a dark side. How were they ever going to resolve all this satisfactorily in two and a half hours? Well, they couldn't. No one could. The moral of the story is that two main villains is about the most any movie can support - and the sad result of S3 is that Spiderman 4 now appears to be on long-term hiatus....

As for myself (and I wish I had a script like Spiderman to worry about), I'm currently locked in doing rewrites. I often find myself viewing scripts in terms of relationships, so using that analogy: a new script is like a hot new relationship with a partner you can't wait to get your hands on. A first rewrite is like a guy you've been seeing for a while. Problems have started to emerge and the way forward is not yet clear. Second rewrite, the scales have fallen from your eyes. This person is far from perfect and the relationship may in fact be irretrievable. It's over - forever! You take refuge in a packet of peanut M&Ms (ahem).

Third and fourth rewrites are bad but a glimmer of hope starts to come out. You might just be able to fix this! Fifth rewrite, you see the truth: this guy is a gem and all the hard slog was worth it. Your relationship is better for having gone through all the drama. 

You're going to be happy ever after - until you get your first producer's coverage, and the rows start again....

No comments: