Monday, June 7, 2010

Be ready to network, anywhere, anytime...

I think I've admitted before that I don't like networking very much. All that deliberate glad-handing doesn't come naturally to me; I get nervous just thinking about it. But put me at a normal party and I can talk for Ireland. This isn't always a good thing, of course.

Anyway, what I've realised recently is that I've had it all wrong. Networking does not just happen in a hotel ballroom with a flipchart outside, it can take place anywhere. On the bus, at a bar, at work. You never know when you're going to meet someone interesting who might be a contact going forward - and who wants to know more about your work. And when they ask the immortal question, "So what do you write?", you want to be able to talk naturally about your scripts. 

The solution, in my opinion, is to practice your pitch until it sounds like a story you'd tell your friends in the pub. Then be ready to wheel it out, in a nonchalant fashion, whenever anyone asks The Question. If you have a pitch prepared and you're feeling brave, you might want to check out this online competition, which is running until July.

I'm blogging at the moment about the very first Indian film festival of Ireland, which you can check out here. I know very little about Indian cinema but it's a world I've always felt curious about. Plus their movies look damn cool. So I'm really looking forward to this festival as an introduction - a taste of what's out there. 

For all you screenwriters, script writer Atul Tiwari will be conducting a workshop as part of the festival. I've heard film writing in India is more like TV writing here (i.e. a team of writers working together) so I'm excited to find out more about this.

The launch party is on this week at Solas on Wexford Street at 4pm so drop in if you are in the area! There will be music and a screening of a Bollywood movie, as well as food and drink.

No comments: