Sunday, May 15, 2011

L.A. Story

A few weeks ago, I was complaining after a particularly hard week's work (as is my wont) about how much I hated my day job. It was Friday night and the person I was talking to had heard these words one time too many. "You've hated every job you've ever had", she said. "Why don't you do what you really want to do?"

I made excuse after excuse but she kept saying this. "Why don't you follow your dream? To write scripts and make a living from it?" Then, and I don't know why because this whole scenario had happened before but not affected me like this, it suddenly hit me.

She was right. I have to do what I want to do. Because if not now, when I have no husband, no kids and no pets, then when? There is nothing stopping me at the moment that I can't overcome.

So I wrote a game plan for how I was going to do this. How I'm going to move to L.A. and somehow get a visa and write scripts. And hopefully sell them in the Land of Movies and make enough to live on.

I'll post extensively on this over the next six months for the benefit of anyone hoping to do the same. Maybe we can compare notes.

Or maybe you have moved to L.A. to follow your screenwriting dream, in which case I'd like to hear your thoughts too. For now, my goals are:

Write a new script I have an idea for.
Rewrite three existing scripts to make them saleable.
Try and get U.S. producers interested in them.
Sell my house. Or strictly speaking, my half of the house...
Sell my car and most of my possessions.
Save some money for the 3 months in L.A. when I can't work.

This is a journey and one I can't wait to start on...

4 comments:

stephen said...

I've been reading your blog quite regularly for a while and don't know why this is my first comment. I really enjoy reading this blog and I look forward to reading the follow ups to your latest entry. I like screenwriting and love movies but don't have the passion that you have shown in this blog. From that perspective I think you are making the right decision and wish you the best of luck!

Eilis Mernagh said...

Thanks Stephen! It's really nice to hear from people who read the blog and I'm glad you enjoy it. Have you written many scripts yourself?

stephen said...

Never finished one...yet! written a few short films. I just struggle to commit to writing. My discipline is terrible.

Eilis Mernagh said...

I had that same problem for years. Force yourself to finish writing one feature, and it's like breaking a seal.

Whether you want to open the floodgates is, of course, another matter!