Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Tiger is heading for the screen! And Puss in Boots already made it....

First up, some good news! Apart from, I have more time to write, which is always good.

My short script Tiger is getting made. I met a director at the Waterford Film Festival who read the script and liked it, and we've been having meetings about it since. The upshot is that we're going to shoot the film next Spring, hopefully in late February/early March.

I'm meeting the director tomorrow to go over the script and break it down, and we're also meeting a possible lead actress and a DoP. So it's all systems go - which means entering the fundraising fray again. Luckily, Director Man reckons it can be done nicely for 3 grand, which is a fairly achievable sum to raise.

If you live in Dublin and want to help out (pretty please!), then you can in one of two ways. Come to a fundraising quiz which we're going to hold at a city centre pub at the end of January. Or, if you know of anyone who has a big, impressive-looking house that we could borrow for two days, give me a call! We won't wreck it, I promise.

In other news, I went to see Puss in Boots yesterday at midday. Yes, I'm unemployed. But hey, there were five people in the cinema apart from me and my sister (she's not unemployed, just on a week off) and there was no idiot kicking the back of my seat. It was great.

As for the movie itself, it's not as good as Shrek 1. But then again, nothing is, including Shreks 2, 3 and 4. What Puss in Boots does have is great characters and great casting. Zorro himself as Puss in Boots, with Banderas spoofing both this and his role in Desperado. His Desperado co-star Salma Hayek as his feline love interest. Zach Galifianakis as the self-loathing, surprisingly touching Humpty Dumpty.

But the best turns for me were from Billy Bob Thornton and Amy Sedaris, who play Jack and Jill as monstrous, terrifying hillbillies. They drive around terrorising people in a huge cart pulled by flaming-eyed hogs. They have cool weapons - sort of like Southern-fried blunderbusses. They have all the best lines - and there are some great lines in this movie.

If you have kids, bring them along - but be warned that they will have nightmares about Jack and Jill. If you're sprog-less, go along anyway, you'll enjoy it!

No comments: