Thursday, March 22, 2012

May the writing frenzy begin...

I’m gearing up to take part in Script Frenzy next month. In case you haven’t heard of it, the Frenzy is all about signing up to write 100 pages of script in 30 days. This is similar to the challenge each November where people try to write a novel (or more likely, a novella) in a month.

Now, clearly with something like this there’s gonna be a bit of brain-dumping. The script you write in 30 days will be a rough first draft, or if it’s a big rewrite, an intermediary draft. I like the Frenzy idea because I have a big problem with thinking, not writing, and a challenge like this forces me to switch my brain off and just get stuff down on the page. As a wise person once said, you can fix stuff that’s written down, not stuff that’s only in your head. Or words to that effect.

That having been said, there’s no reason why you can’t plan properly for your brain vomit. Starting off with an outline will not only help you to write your script, but will make the end result a lot less unwieldy. I haven’t worked out every single scene for the script I’m planning to write, Last Girl Standing, but I know enough to keep me on track and prevent roadblocks.

Also, be realistic. You will find it tough to hit 100 pages in a month unless you’re writing regularly. So if you’re going on holiday for a week during Script Frenzy or planning a lot of socializing next month, this time around might not be for you. Ideally try and do it evenly – crank out 3-4 pages a day, every day.

Use the guilt factor to your advantage – paste your daily results on the Frenzy’s website. This will keep you accountable and hopefully keep you on target. I’ll be doing this and posting links on Facebook just to prove that I haven’t chickened out (I’m being really hopeful here). Give it a go – what have you got to lose?

In other news, there are 12 days left until our Fundit campaign for Tiger is over and we still have €1,030 to raise. Check out the trailer here if you have a few bucks and fancy having your name in some movie credits…

 

No comments: