Monday, May 14, 2012

Leaving on a jet-plane...

This blog has been more Dublin to Dublin for the past year as job losses, house sales (or lack of), poor concentration on my part and sluggish saving has taken their toll on my Hollywood dreams. There have been days when I’ve wondered if I’d ever negotiate the L.A. bus system or eat a Carl Jnrs burger again. It just seemed so far away. But no more.

One way or another, unless an asteroid hits earth, Sellafield explodes or a bank crash takes out my savings, I am going to L.A. on the 20th of August. I went on ebookers today and decided to bite the bullet and book a flight.

Once I’d done that, I’d like to say a cool serenity came over me. Actually I felt rising panic and a nameless dread.

I’m selling my house (assuming I can by August), selling most of my possessions including Roo, my beloved Ford Ka, and saying goodbye to nine to five employment. I haven’t been without a full-time job since I was twenty-three. I haven’t been out of work for longer than three weeks since college. And as of August, I’m going to be unemployed for at least three months.

But I know in my heart of hearts that this is something I have to do. In my head, I’m already there. And let’s face it, it will be all too easy to get back on the work treadmill at a future date if I really, really miss office administration, commuting and disgusting sandwich lunches.

In the meantime, I have three months to do the following:

  • Find somewhere to stay for 3 months in L.A. Probably in Hollywood or Silver Lake, seeing as I’ll be back on public transport.

  • Get three scripts in ultra-marketable condition. I have one done, so it’s two to go. Then I also want to write outlines for 1-2 other promising ideas.

  • Sell my house. Now it really HAS to go.

  • Possibly sell Roo, unless I can find somewhere to park her ever-so-slightly rusted ass for three months.

  • Save like a mother until the very last minute. The more I can amass in savings the better. It will stave off taking work for work’s sake, which is a desperate, horrible condition.

  • Go through the Hollywood Directory, identify dozens of potential reps and email them introducing myself and asking for a meeting while I’m in L.A.

  • Look up everybody I know in L.A.and offer to buy them coffee. I have good news for the Starbucks of West Hollywood – your biggest future customer is on her way!


Yes, I’m terrified. But it’s also exciting to give something like this a go.

As ever, if anyone’s done a trip like this before and has tips, I’d love to hear them! In the meantime, I’ll be prepping for 3 months of sell, sell sell and doing regular updates on how it’s going.

For my next post, it’s the thorny issue of characters, and just how much you as the writer need to know about your leading guys and ladies…

1 comment:

Orlaith said...

ah sure it's only 3 months. 12 weeks. you'll be grand!