Monday, November 26, 2012

Back in lovely old Dublin...

First of all, I got interviewed by fellow screenwriter Chris Jalufka for his (amazing) blog, and he made me sound so good I'm embarrassed... you can check it out here.

Meanwhile, I'm back in Ireland, back at work and back in one of the world's maddest climates. It's been really strange to go from a place where every day is the same (hot and sunny) to Dublin, where no day is the same. And where instead of writing every day and schmoozing, I'm going out to work (:().

BUT - I'm working to raise money for a good cause, to fund my next visit to L.A. Some men spent most of World War Two trying to escape from Colditz. I just need to save a load of money and get a spanking new visa that will defeat the suspicions of Homeland Security. How hard can it be?

Well, it's not THAT hard. But it's not a piece of cake, either. Basically, as a writer I can apply for an O1 visa, which will give me at least a year in the States (and can be renewed thereafter). With this visa, I can work as a writer (and that includes web writing, journalism etc. as well as screenwriting). Two visa lawyers have looked at my list of credits and reckon I have enough to apply for an O1. But to apply, I must have a sponsor, and that means securing a manager/agent.

I did PRETTY well with getting reps to read my scripts while I was in the States. One agent and four management companies, to be exact. In a situation so typical it might have been an episode of Entourage, the agent said he liked my script, but had no buyer in mind for it. However, if I found a buyer, he'd be happy to represent me! (And take his 10%). I'm still waiting to hear back from some of the managers. But I have to believe that it's going to work out. That someone's going to take a chance on me, a chance that will pay off some day very soon.

On a good note - and there are many good notes, three professional screenwriters helped me out big-time before I left Cali. One got a reader from a top production company to read my script, another gave me some gold-standard advice on writing TV specs, and the third chap - a studio reader himself - spent 45 mins going over my script on Skype. Bear in mind, they got nothing in return apart from a lot of good karma. I made a promise before I left that I, too, would try my best to pay it forward, in whatever way I can.

For now, it's back to writing, rewriting, and outlining. And schmoozing and networking, even it's not on the same scale as it was in L.A. Wherever I'm living, whatever the weather's like, 2013 is going to be the year all my biggest movie dreams come true...

2 comments:

Devin John Doyle said...

Welcome back, even if you don't want to be back.

So, what was the gold-standard advice on writing TV specs?

eilism said...

Thanks for reminding me about this, and thanks for reading! I'll be doing a post on what I learned about TV writing very soon.