Monday, May 13, 2013

Croissaints on the Croisette....

I'm in a weird, in-between stage of writing at the moment. Stupidly, I haven't set up a script to work on but instead have ended up developing two ideas at once. One is an Irish sports comedy, the other is a romcom and will either be a novel or a screenplay (or both).

I like both ideas and believe they both have legs. But while they're still amorphous ideas floating around in my head, being chipped away bit by bit as I write outlines, it's like constantly eating tidbits while longing for a bigger portion. I can't wait to sit down and bang out a first draft. I know, though, that this is a crucial time and that the longer I spend doing prep, the stronger the resulting first draft will be.

The other thing taking up my time is preparing for Cannes. This is kind of hard to do, because it's impossible know where I'll end up over there or who I'll meet. But I'm looking up distributors who are going to be there and trying to figure out who might be interested in licensing Tiger. We've pretty much tied up the U.S. rights with Shorts HD, but there's still the U.K. and European rights, so I'll be keeping an eye out for someone who deals in those territories.

Other than that, I'm getting a pitch together for my Irish comedy and signing up for as many industry parties as I can. I can't wait for four days of talking, drinking and, it being France, eating great food. Bring on the moules mariniere and the croissaints! But one thing I'm determined to do this time is actually watch some movies. I have a terrible record of going to festivals and seeing no movies at all. Too much time yakking in bars.

Here are the five films I'm most looking forward to. If I have to fight someone for a ticket to one of these... but hopefully it won't come to that -

Only God Forgives - I'll be lucky to snare a ticket to this one, Nicolas Winding Refn's follow up to Drive, starring - once again - Ryan Gosling. But that doesn't mean I won't try, if only to see Kristen Scott Thomas as a scary crime boss...

Behind the Candelabra - Steven Soderbergh's swan song? About Liberace? With Michael Douglas as the mommy's boy himself and Matt Damon as his lover? I'm sold!

Young and Beautiful - it would be sacrilege to go to Cannes and not see at least one French movie. And if it has to be a French movie, it might as well be one directed by Francois Ozon, starring his regular leading lady Charlotte Rampling.

The Bling Ring - I'm a big Sofia Coppola fan and read all about this seedy real-life case when I was over in L.A. The film - concerning a bunch of spoilt society burglars who target celebrities - should give me the shot of Hollywood sleaze I've been pining after...

Magic Magic - the female Into the Wild stars Juno Temple as a girl unravelling during a trip from California to Chile.

I'll be blogging from the festival (time permitting, assuming I can find an internet cafe and that my brain still works by Day Two...).

2 comments:

Joan Mitchell said...

Hi

My friend runs eclipse pictures in Dublin. Google them and meet them at Cannes.

Well done on getting so many pilots and ideas off the ground.

eilism said...

Will do Joan - thanks for the tip!